Perfect Hot Cocoa
- 1 tbsp high quality cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp natural sugar
- 1 cup milk
- dash vanilla
- pinch salt
- pinch cinnamon
Add cocoa and sugar to saucepan and add just enough water to make a syrup. Heat the syrup just to boiling. Add the cold milk and heat. Do not allow to bubble, stir often. Add vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Yum.
Easy Coconut Macaroons (from Bittman)
Makes 2 dozen.
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten (I just use the whole egg.)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a rubber spatula or your hands.
2. Use a non-stick baking sheet, or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. To make the pyramids, wet your hands and scoop out a rounded tablespoon of the mixture into the palm of one hand. Using your other hand, press in gently on both sides of the mixture, bringing the macaroon to a point. Continue pressing with your thumb and forefinger on both sides until you have an even shape. For cubes, start as you would for the pyramids, then gently press equally on all sides, turning the macaroon to square off each side. You can use a butter knife to gently smooth the sides of the pyramids and cubes if you like. For balls, roll the mixture between your palms gently until round.
3. Place each macaroon about an inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake until light brown, about 15 minutes. Remove the baking sheet and cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes before eating. These keep well in a covered container for up to 3 days.Follow soulfirefarm