Soul Fire Farm CSA Newsletter
Week #6 – August 3, 2012
Contents of Share this Week
- string beans (green or yellow) – 1 lb
- cucumbers – 4
- chard – 1 bunch
- kale – 1 bunch
- lettuce – 1 head
- onions – 1 bunch
- parsley – 1 bunch
- green pepper – 1 or 2
- hot peppers (Hungarian Wax and Jalapeno) – 4 or 5
- eggplant, summer squash, broccoli, or cauliflower – at least 2 items
- garlic – 2 heads
- eggs or sprouts (mung bean, green lentil, spicy mustard mix, chick pea)
- Your CSA is delivered every Friday with one exception. CSA delivery will take place MONDAY AUGUST 20th instead of Friday August 17. Same times – 2:15 WHMS, 2:30 TVHS, 3-4:00 Albany, 4:00+ Troy. So the upcoming delivery dates are 8/10, 8/20, and 8/24. The farmers are going family camping for the week including 8/17. (What?!? Vacation? Yes, vacation.)
- Please return your boxes, egg cartons, and clean, clear plastic bags. Thank you so much!
- Remember that you are always welcome to visit socially and/or to volunteer. Give a call to schedule a time.
- All of our newsletters are archived on our website http://www.soulfirefarm.com/?cat=3
- We are processing our next batch of 50 meat birds on Sunday, August 26th, 8 AM to 1 PM. You are invited to come and help. We also have some more birds for sale. Order here.
Recipe of the Week
Leah’s Egg Fried Rice w/ Summer Veggies: Finely dice and saute green onions, garlic, green pepper, carrot, and kale or chard. Cook well beaten egg separately and cut into bite sized pieces. Add egg to sauteed veggies. To the veggie/egg combo add tamari, honey, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper and other spices you like. Stir in cooked rice – white or brown until well mixed. Add chopped parsley and chopped peanuts. Cook for another minute or 2. Serve hot. Kids like it!
Food Justice News
A new food justice initiative has started in Albany NY, called Healthy Hearts on the Hill. They are grassroots and on point. Check them out and consider volunteering or donating!
Farm News and Notes
We welcome Sindhu and Dane to our internship team this week!
A big congratulations to CSA members and friends Victorio and Laura, who held their devotion ceremony this last weekend. SFF collard greens were represented at the reception!
Have a great week!
Jonah, Leah, Neshima and Emet