Welcome to our very first Sustainable Living Immersion Program participants, Abram Johnson from Lyons, NY and Mark Russo, from Manhattan, NY! They are both super-sweet guys, hard workers, and lots of fun for Neshima and Emet to play with. Even as I write, Mark and Emet are building a new Erector Set together. We have accomplished an incredible amount of work with these extra hands.
Here are a few highlights:
- Abram removing the largest rock ever in order to make way for our new kiwi and grape trellises.
- Mark building new nest boxes in the field hoop coops in hopes of reducing egg pecking.
- 50 new meat bird chicks growing nicely in the brooder, unaware of their fate as dinner for YOU ALL in about 6 weeks.
- Lots of seedlings in the greenhouse room – onions, leeks, tomatoes, peppers, kale, broccoli, lettuce, eggplant, parsley, celery, basil, etc.
- About 1/3 of the gardens planted, including snow, snap, and shell peas, carrots, onions, Brussels sprouts, potatoes, cilantro, turnips, etc.
- 2 new pear trees planted in honor of the birth of Caona Asuta Asili, Taina and Gaetano’s beautiful baby girl!
- Perennials, including raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries nicely transplanted and thickly mulched.