We love Haitian Food! Here is a delicious gluten-free dessert from our homeland.
Haitian Sweet Potato Bread
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 large banana, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon reserved
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz. evaporated milk (or 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons melted butter (or coconut oil)
Preheat the oven to 350˚.
Grate the sweet potatoes into a large bowl and mash the banana into the sweet potatoes.
Add the rest of the ingredients (except the 1 tablespoon brown sugar) and mix until the batter is fully incorporated with a puddinglike consistency.
Spread evenly into a 9×13-inch baking pan and evenly sprinkle the remaining brown sugar over the top.
Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.Follow soulfirefarm