Raw kale salad with creamy tahini miso dressing
- 1 bunch of kale
- Sea salt
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 4 to 6 carrots
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (preferably black sesame seeds, regular white are fine)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- big pinch red pepper flakes
- small handful chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup water
- dash of tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- Pull the kale leaves off from the tough stem and discard the stems. Use a chef’s knife or your hands to chop or tear the kale into small, bite sized pieces. Sprinkle a small pinch of sea salt over the kale and vigorously massage the leaves for a couple of minutes.
- In a small bowl or 8-ounce mason jar, whisk together the salad dressing ingredients. Divide the kale into two bowls, drizzle in the salad dressing (don’t skimp), and toss thoroughly. If possible, let the salads rest for ten minutes before eating.
- Peel and slice the carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, score the flesh with a knife and scoop it out with a big spoon. Top the salad with carrot ribbons, diced avocado and some chopped carrot greens, if available/desired. Sprinkle the salad with sesame seeds and serve.