Recipe – Roasted Winter Squash
1 butternut squash or equivalent of other squash
Seasonal root vegetables (potato, carrot, beet, parsnip)
1 large onion (optional)
Cooking oil (safflower, canola)
freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, or sage, (optional)
honey or maple syrup, for drizzling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the stem off of the top of the squash and remove the bottom. Slice into rounds. Remove the seeds. Remove the skin of the squash with a knife.
- Slice the flesh of the squash into 1/4-inch dice and place on a baking sheet.
- Dice root vegetables into 1/4 inch pieces. Add to baking sheet.
- Chop the onion. Add to baking sheet.
- Liberally drizzle with oil and season with salt. If desired, sprinkle with the herbs and drizzle with the honey or syrup. Toss to combine.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes until its very soft and beginning to brown.